Facebook

Please see my Facebook page - John Wright @ Facebook.com

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The Internet


Right now, as I am writing this, our cable and internet are out. They're doing work in the area and I have no idea how long this will take. I can live without TV, but I find myself a bit adrift without the internet. For example, I cannot post what I am writing. I am apartment huntinng and it's darn hard to do that these days without going on line. I am looking for book and magazine publishers to send my work to and I cannot even check my bank account. Now, I am not as dependent on my computer as some folks, but this little down spell is making me aware of just what a disaster it would be if the internet went away suddenly.

And, it might. There have been cyberattacks and there will be more. There are environmental disasters and we have been darn lucky that nothing catastrophic has hit.

So, I am beleiving more and more, that we should begin weaning ourselves away from technological dependence. Keep some paper and pencils around in case you can't access a calculator. Make sure you have phone numbers in order if, one day, you can't email. Back up any important files and print out the information; just store it away. You may never need it but, if you do, you'll be very glad you have it.

Remember, if you lose your internet connections, that will include that smart phone and you probably won't want to roam the neighborhoods looking for a free signal to hitch to.

If you also lose your cable, and often they are bundled together, you better have some ways to entertain yourself. For ideas, I invite you to look at one of my other blogs, Entertainment and Pastimes. The link is near the bottom of this page.

Actually, losing the internet may, ultimately be a kind of mixed blessing, forcing us to get off our rears and do things. Now, if we lost our electricity, that would not be fun, especially since the air conditioner would be off and it is supposed to hit 100 today. Oh well, one day that may happen, but I sure hope it's in the winter.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment